Wednesday, October 30, 2013

China Glaze Howl You Doin' vs. Orly Fowl Play

I have another comparison for you today:  China Glaze Howl You Doin' vs. Orly Fowl Play.

Orly Fowl Play vs. China Glaze Howl You Doin'



For the following pictures I applied two coats of Howl You Doin on my index and ring fingers, three coats of Fowl play on my middle and pinky.  In the bottle and in my lightbox they are pretty similar, but let's take a closer look.

Artificial light
Howl You Doin' has a thick plum crelly base with red and copper flakies, along with small blue glitter.  The formula is thick and dries a bit gritty, but that was easily solved with a thick topcoat.  It's probably because it is pretty packed with the glitter and flakies.  No fishing needed here and it applied pretty evenly.

Indirect sunlight
Already we can see they are definitely not the same.  Fowl play has what seem to be small white speckles that give the nail a lighter, shimmery look.  It also has no glitter, just red, copper and small blue flakies. 
Indirect sunlight
The biggest visual difference though is in direct light: take a look:

Direct sunlight

The red flakies on Fowl Play are iridescent and turn green!  How awesome is that?  The formula and application were very different as well.  The base is a bit of a warmer jelly so it's a bit more sheer, and it needs an extra coat to achieve opacity.   Also, the flakies on Fowl Play are slightly smaller in general than the ones in Howl You Doin'.


I find these two to be different enough to keep both.  What do you think?

Happy hump day!
-Yadi

6 comments:

  1. i like both:)
    But if I have to choose, I'd take China Glaze:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, thankfully there's no need to choose!! :)

      Delete
  2. Yep, they're not the same. What I want to know is WHY on earth does Howl You Doin' look good on everybody but me?? I'm wearing it right now, and I declare it looks just like mashed up raisins on my fingers!! Your pics of it are great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL mashed up raisins?!?! No way! I used my bottle of Seche Vite that's a bit too thick for comfort nowadays, perhaps that helped smooth it? You always crack me up! :)

      Delete