Monday, October 14, 2013

Revlon Wintermint vs. Sally Girl Brainy (Mermaid Week, day 2)

Ladies: It's Mermaid Week here, so brace yourself for all the mermaid scales you can handle! 

My friend Melissa over at Lacquer Reverie brought up a great point on yesterday's post: SH Mermaid's Tale.  She asked: "why all the mermaid polishes?".  I don't have an answer; but I figured I should check how many I own.  Turns out, I don't have enough with that name to dedicate an entire week to them, but definitely enough for a Mermaid theme week.

The polishes I am comparing today are both near dupes of the elusive Deborah Lippmann Mermaid's Dream, which I don't own :(  I will compare the two alternatives for you today though:

Revlon Wintergreen vs Sally Girl Brainy.




Revlon Wintermint is a LE scented line that I found at Rite Aid this weekend.  Sally Girl Brainy is part of Sally's permanent mini-polish display.  For the following pictures, I used five coats (yikes!) of Brainy on my index and ring fingers, and three coats of Wintermint on my middle and pinky fingers.  



Brainy is very sheer, but has a lot more teal microglitter, which makes it feel a bit cooler.  It also has a higher glitter to pigment ratio, which makes it a bit shinier but, again, very sheer.  The difference is more evident under direct sunlight, have a look and see if you can notice it.


Wintergreen smelled just like!  I try my best not to sniff my polish (doesn't that just sound junkie?), but I certainly didn't mind the scent of this little guy!  It has a thicker, more pigmented and metallic (vs. Brainy's more glittery) formula.  Here's the thing: it seems to shrink as it dries.  You can see how my middle finger and pinky seem pulled at the cuticle line.





So for me, Wintermint is the winner, because I like the bottle and bigger size.  I also like the fact that it's builds up with less coats.  I don't think it's perfect, but I will try to perfect my application to try and solve shrinkage and give it a second, third, maybe fourth chance.  :)

-Yadi

6 comments:

  1. These look identical! And I was in Rite Aid just yesterday and didn't see a hint of a scented Revlon polish! :( It's a lovely color though, and Ursula would be green with envy. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it reminds me of Ariel! They JUST came out, it was a little display sitting all by itself between the halloween polishes, keep an eye out and good luck!

      Delete
  2. Ive never had scented nailpolish before, these look like lovely colors, wish the collection would pop up around my place soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only others I had come across were Color Clubs and a different line of Revlon's. These are really cute though, I love the potion-type containers! Good luck with them landing near you soon!

      Delete
  3. Although there is not much difference but still I like the Revlon more (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I like the metallic finish more and the SMELL is a huge plus!

      Delete