Friday, October 25, 2013

Marigolds are my favorite!

Hi guys!  Today's post is for fun and dedicated to marigolds, because they are my favorite flowers.  So here we go, my marigolds manicure!
Marigold nail art
I was feeling creative a couple of nights ago and tried to draw some on my nails after listening to a song, which I will link after the pictures.
The result, well... I really wish I had better fine motor skills, but I am happy enough with it that I figured I'd share with you guys :)
Ahh, sweet marigolds, I can almost smell you! 

Here's my source of inspiration, Tiringueni Tsitsiki - an original Purhepecha song interpreted by Lila Downs.
Did you know?  The Purhepecha in Mexico believe smell is the dominant sense in the after life, so for Dia de los Muertos they lay marigolds around the altars they put together for their loved ones,  to help guide them home through smell for their yearly visit.  Pretty cool huh?

Don't worry, I will stick to swatching for the most part!!  Let's think of this as casual Friday, shall we?  
-Yadi

8 comments:

  1. No don't stick to just swatching this is great!! Didn't now that about Dia de los Muertos and marigolds. One name for marigolds in Greek is "nekrolouloudo" which translates as "flower of/for the dead" or "dead flower"! I think it's pretty awesome how common are some things between people of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, when the muses strike me I will share for sure :) I agree with you, I love to learn about other cultures and always get excited when I find these similarities in places so far away!

      Delete
  2. I love flowers too! My favorite is roses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roses are awesome too, I can't think of a flower I don't like, lol!

      Delete
  3. I have never seen anything like this manicure before and I love it. The colors and the gradient and the detail...I think your fine motor skills definitely do not need improvement. This design is sheer perfection! Also, I see you're a new blogger here. From one nail blogger to another: Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!! I appreciate your feedback and welcome. :) My initial goal was to include a LOT more little petals in there and then a green leaf so I wished I could have gone just a tiiiny bit smaller... I was stll very happy with it in the end!

      Delete