Sunday, June 15, 2014

Salon Perfect Boom Boom Boom over Varsity Blue: My 'Murica Mani!

*Purchased by me*

Hi guys, I get pretty giddy about Independence Day here in the USA or Fourth of July.  I love to watch all the fireworks, eat all the barbeques and drink all the beers like a boss!  All month leading up to it I am full of stars and stripes and "In you face!" red white and blue.  I am pretty sure that this is one of my top three holidays all year, so I have collected a few patriotic shades of nail polishes through the years.  I usually wait to find them in the clearance bins after the holiday, but certain shades must not wait because they will be gone for sure and so I purchase them on the spot.

One of these shades is Salon Perfect's Boom Boom Boom, and it's a top candidate for the actual holiday this year.  Have a look:
Salon Perfect's Boom Boom Boom over Varsity Blue
I started out with two coats of Salon Perfect Varsity Blue.  Varsity Blue is an intense indigo blue.  The formula on this shade is suuuuuper pigmented, it was definitely opaque in one coat.  I did find it to be a bit on the thick side and it didn't dry very smooth, so what you see in the following pictures are two coats topped off with one coat of Seche Vite. 
Salon Perfect Varsity Blue
Note: I highly recommend using a basecoat if you want to avoid stains, I left this on my nails for the day and did get a little bit of staining through my basecoat, so just a heads up!


Next I added two layers of Salon Perfect Boom Boom Boom.  Here is a picture I snapped before adding the topcoat, I think it has a semi-matte finish.
Salon Perfect Boom Boom Boom, no topcoat
Boom Boom Boom is a combination of small round red, white and blue glitter suspended in a clear base.  The application was very decent considering it's a matte glitter.  I found the little glitter pieces tried to cling to each other during application, so I decided to paint on one thin layer and then dab a little more on the bald spots after it dried, so it's technically not really two full coats. 

Salon Perfect Boom Boom with topcoat

I purchased both of these shades at Walmart where Salon Perfect is carried exclusively.  I paid $3.98 for Boom Boom Boom, which is the normal retail price for this brand.  Varsity Blue was part of a duo-pack I found in the clearance bin, the pair had a price of $4.98 but marked down 50% extra to $2.49, which made each bottle under $1.25.  I actually picked up a few, but we'll get to those another day... -.- 

I wish all the dads and single moms a fantastic Father's Day, I will see you guys again soon!  Happy Sunday!

-Yadi




8 comments:

  1. I love that red, white, and blue glitter! I was at Walmart a couple of days ago and didn't see it--I'm guessing it was in a special display? I'll check again closer to July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was definitely my favorite! Yes, it was at one of those end-cap displays, there were two at my Wal-Mart in addition to the regular display: this one had several stars, bars and chunkier flag-theme matte glitters, the other had some neon packs. Good luck with the hunt!

      Delete
  2. dang, this is gorgeous! I just picked up Varsity Blue in a pack the other day too...with Pure Azure. Haven't tried either of them yet- but I'm worried Varsity Blue is going to stain like crazy; did you have any issues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the pair I got too! I did get a little staining with Varsity Blue through the basecoat after wearing it the whole day but it wasn't too bad, it came off with a brush and tooth paste. I'm thinking next time I will double up on the basecoat!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, we've got a couple of weeks 'til Independence day here so I'm pulling out all my patriotic colors! :)

      Delete